Most fast food chains are really good at adapting their menus to suit the taste of the locals. Pizza hut is not an exception. To be honest, I have not had a single pizza from Pizza hut in Canada or the USA. I liked making my own or dominos. Dominos has these kick ass wings n awesome cheesy bread. MMMMMMmmmmmMMM
Well, I was talking to my sis a couple weeks ago and she was in the middle of making honey garlic pizza w mom (jealous!!). Honey garlic chicken pizza was the number 1 selling pizza in Brunei for many many years. Another huge favourite is the Tuna pizza. I made the tuna pizza before but Meep didn’t like it. Tuna salad on pizza was weird for him.
This recipe is my re-creation of the honey garlic chicken pizza available in Brunei. I have not had it in a long time but this does taste really close to what I remembered.
For the pizza dough – I used Jay’s signature pizza crust recipe. I have to say, this is pretty much exactly pizza hut’s pan pizza crust. It took me a good hour of reading different recipes before settling on this and I am glad I did
You will need:
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
3 cups all purpose flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast n brown sugar and let stand for 10 mins.
2. Stir in salt and oil into the solution
3. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour into the bowl
4. Take out dough and out onto clean counter to knead
4. Keep adding flour and knead into until not sticky (about 3/4 cup more)
5. Lightly oil a large bowl and place dough ball in bowl
6. Cover bowl with kitchen cloth for about 1 hour.
7. Dough should be double it original size at the end of the hour
8. Punch dough to release the air
8 – Portion dough into 2, let it sit for a couple minutes to relax. This makes 2 medium pizza. Then, I experimented with different methods of rolling out the dough.
I watched Good Eats last night and Alton Brown recommends hand stretching pizza dough and not rolling out w a rolling pin. I wanted to see what the difference would be when pizza bakes
top – hand stretched. bottom – rolled out with a pin
9. Make sure pizza pan is lightly oiled.
Let pizza stand for about 15 minutes to rise a little bit more before putting on topping~
*note: Some have had problems with uncooked dough when the dough is not stretch thin enough. If you like a thicker crust, just pre-bake pizza for about 5 minutes before adding topping.
Alton Brown is right! Pizza dough that is hand stretched came out better than the dough that I just rolled out. The hand stretched pizza baked better and was fluffier. Weird huh? I can’t remember his explanation of why. Something about air bubbles in the dough. LOL
Honey garlic chicken ingredients!
You will need:
BBQ honey garlic sauce (recipe below)
2 chicken breasts
2 whole roasted garlic (instructions below)
1/2 large onion (caramelised)
2 cups shredded mozarella cheese (according to personal preference)
2 stalks of green onions (only the green part)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 – spread a thin layer of sauce on dough
2. squish the roasted garlic with fingers and spread all over.
3. add chicken pieces (I marinated mine lightly in the same sauce for 2 hours and then grilled it on the BBQ – you can bake it in the oven). CHicken pieces should be fully cooked.
4. Add caramelised onions (the original pizza hut’s version does not have this but I love the sweetness of onions on pizza)
5. Top off with Mozzarella cheese. Enough to cover
6. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes on 425F/220C.
7. When cheese is browned, remove from oven
Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onions all over the top
Drizzle a little bit more sauce all over.
OMG! This totally reminded me of my delinquent days (or so Meep calls those days). Getting a slice for $2.50 and eating at the steps of the internet cafe in Bandar. Ahh…. good times~
Recipe for honey garlic sauce
Feel free to buy bottled sauce, makes you life easier! But if you want what I did I used
1 cup water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey (dark honey)
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoon cornstarch
(whisk everything together and boil, when it comes to a boil, turn heat to low and continue whisking till thickens)
With this sauce – I added about 2 tablespoon of Kraft bbq sauce.
Roasted garlic step by step
I kept trying to remember the pizza from Pizza hut and I remembered the garlic was always soft, mushy and barely has the pungent, overpowering garlic taste. I read about roasted garlic a while back and it seems to me that Pizza hut used roasted garlic coz if it was fresh, it wouldn’t have the texture I remembered. ANd this guess worked out!
1 – cut off tops of the garlic
2 – drizzle about 1/2 tsp olive oil on the top of each garlic
3. wrap garlic in aluminium foil. Make sure it is seal tight.
4. Bake garlic in 400F oven for 1 hour.
5. when cooled, just press the bottom of the garlic and each little clove with come popping out~ ^_^
Cut onion into thin strips
Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan
Add onions and sprinkle with black pepper
Remove from heat when browned but not soggy
This is my longest post but I figured I should just combine it all in here rather than have 3 separate ones.